To all IlluminAbbey ticket holders,We hope you’ll have a fantastic time at IlluminAbbey this week! We have now emailed event info to all ticket bookers we have an email address for, and posted event info to everyone else - but if you haven't received these yet then please read on for everything you need to know about the event...
• Please aim to arrive 15 minutes before your booked time slot. This allows time for your ticket to be checked, and to ensure you enter the event on time.
WHERE TO GO
• Please use the Eastgate Street Entrance (opposite The Fox pub (see event map
, for reference) - all other entrances to the Abbey Gardens will be closed.
• IlluminAbbey starts in Eastgate Nursery (by the Abbey Gardens tennis courts), where there will be a welcome area and team to check your tickets.
• If you have requested e-tickets/print at home tickets, please have these ready for checking upon entry to IlluminAbbey.
• If you have requested to collect your tickets, these must be collected from The Apex box office in advance. You can collect your tickets from The Apex box office between the hours of 10am-4.30pm, Monday to Saturday.
• There will be light refreshments in the welcome area and a heated marquee whilst you wait for your timed entry.
• Once you’ve enjoyed the IlluminAbbey experience, why not enjoy more refreshments and Christmas lights in the town centre?
• There are toilets at the start and finish of the IlluminAbbey route (see event map
• Feel free to use any of our town centre car parks – see the West Suffolk Council website
for more info.
• To fully enjoy IlluminAbbey it will take at least 1 hour in the Abbey Gardens so please consider this when paying for parking, as well as any additional plans you may have, such as dinner, drinks and Christmas shopping in the town.
• Why not download the RingGo app
in advance – to make parking easier and enable you to easily extend your stay in town.
• The route is one way around the Abbey Gardens.
• You’ll start in the Eastgate Nursery area, cross the bridge into the Abbey Gardens, following a route around the ruins and back to the main paths, up to the water garden and around the bowling green. Make sure you walk around the Rose Garden before you head back to the central bedding for the finale.
• Exit is via the Abbey Gate.
• See event map
, which shows the one-way route, and highlights where the live performances will be.
• Most of the event is on hard standing paths, however the early part of the route is amongst the Abbey Ruins where the terrain is uneven and undulating. We have boarded this section to improve the surface.
• We are confident the route is wheelchair and mobility scooter accessible, however there are areas that remain uneven and undulating.
• The route consists of a variety of lighting displays, most are static, but some have mild movement and flashes. There are also areas of low or changing light levels.
• Where possible, the lights shows will be on a constant loop to ensure everyone gets to see everything.
• The live acts we have booked cover the whole evening, however they will have short breaks in between their shows. Details are below, and will also be displayed near the performance space. However, they may be subject to change.
o Juggling Inferno
Performances last half an hour, starting approximately at: 16:45, 17:30, 18:15, 19:00, 19:45, and 20:30.
o Corvus Angelicus
Performers will be available for half hour stints, starting approximately at: 17:00, 17:45, 18:30, 19:15, 20:00, and 20:45.
Performances last fifteen minutes, starting approximately at: 17:30, 18:15, 19:00, 19:45, 20:30, and 21:15.
FILMING AND PHOTOGRAPHY
• Official event photographers from West Suffolk Council will be on site in the Abbey Gardens taking photographs and video, at the IlluminAbbey event for publicity purposes.
• We require your permission to use these photographs or video, where you, or a child you are responsible for, are the direct subject, and will ask for your consent in advance of doing so. If you are not happy for your image(s) to be used in all the types of publicity listed on the consent form, please do not give your consent and simply let the photographer know that you don’t wish to be photographed.
• We cannot film or take photographs of any child who is at risk or under a supervision order. If you know of any such reason, please bring this to our attention.
• We may use the images on our websites and in publications, or send them to the media. We may also supply photos on request to other organisations or companies if their use would help to promote West Suffolk (for example as a tourism destination).
WHAT TO WEAR
• The event itself is entirely outdoors so wrap up warm and make sure you're dressed for the weather!
• Most of the event is on hard standing paths however the early part of the route is amongst the Abbey Ruins where the terrain is uneven and undulating. We have boarded this section but would still advise sensible footwear for walking.
• The route is entirely outdoors however following the current government guidelines we would ask all attendees to wear a face covering in the welcome marquee, which is covered.
• As there will be large crowds across the event, we are also asking you to please consider continuing to wear a face mask throughout the event, however this is of course up to you.
• The event will go ahead in all weather conditions.
• If the event management team deem that it is unsafe to open the event then a decision on cancellation will be made approximately 3 hours before opening. We will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible regarding any changes.
• If in doubt please check the Abbey Gardens social media channels – Facebook
– for any updates.
• Download the Loyal Free app
for several offers from local businesses
• Visit the Our Bury St Edmunds websitet
for more information
• Check out the Christmas in Bury St Edmunds website
for more information on visiting Bury St Edmunds and to watch the Christmas video.
What’s On West Suffolk
Experience the Abbey Gardens as they’ve never been seen before...IlluminAbbey promises to be a wonderful spectacular of lighting, music and live entertainment, suitable for all ages.
Starting at the Eastgate Nursery entrance, a 1km route within Abbey Gardens will be illuminated to celebrate the architectural magnificence, history and beauty of the gardens and ruins.
Along the way, there will be plenty to see and do, including breathtaking street theatre performances from Corvus Angelicus
, Juggling Inferno
, the amazing high impact drumming troupe with kaleidoscopic lighting.
The route is approximately 1km long with mainly hard paths and undulating terrain. We have taken measures to improve the route’s accessibility through the Abbey Ruins, with access boards, ramps and stewards available. Electric scooters and wheelchair users are welcome to bring their access aids. If you require a carer to attend they can join you free of charge, please contact the box office on 01284 758000 to book their ticket.
- Please allow 45-60 minutes to experience the full spectacular.
- This event will run in all weather conditions, providing it is safe to do so.
- Unsuitable for dogs, however guide dogs are allowed.
4.30pm-8.30pm (entry slots available every 15 minutes)
Adult £6, Child (4-16 years) £4, (Under 4s go free and do not need a ticket).
This event is now sold out.
Abbey Gardens, Bury St Edmunds
Prices include £1 booking fee
This event is promoted by West Suffolk Council
This event takes place in the Abbey Gardens, IP33 1XL. Entry is via Eastgate Street Entrance opposite The Fox pub.
Please aim to arrive 15 minutes before your booked time slot.